How many of you seek success in winning a British Hairdressing of the Year award? For many of you winning at the British Hairdressing awards is a big desire of yours, and this weeks guest is someone who can help you achieve this. Here today is current London Hairdresser of the Year, Luke Benson. An ‘exceptional hair talent’ who travels the world teaching his creativity, along with consulting with other hairdressers on their shoots.
Trained by the late, great Terry Calvert of the Clipso Hair Group in his hometown of Watford, England, Luke has quickly amassed a lot of recognition and respect within the hairdressing industry. With other accolades alongside his London Hairdresser of the Year Award include British Hairdressing Awards finalist 2013 & 2014, Wella Trend Vision Award winner, F.A.M.E Team member 2015 and Creative Head Awards IT Guy 2015, it’s clear to see why Luke is rated as one of the brightest stars in British hairdressing.
Luke has found success by consistently working hard at what he loves, producing stunning collections time after time, and having a true understanding of his technical skills. His story and tips on producing award-winning collections is the perfect lesson for hairdressers everywhere – just listen in!
Thanks for listening! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below this post. If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post. And please leave an honest review for the HTCI Podcast on iTunes as ratings and reviews are extremely helpful.
• Dom says, if you’re interested in becoming a guest for a future HTCI show, leave him a message at the bottom of the post or contact on twitter @dominiclehane or on Instagram @domlehane
(Subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates)
With over 14 years experience Luke maintains a keen focus on technical, creative skill and platform artistry, travelling extensively in an educational and inspirational capacity. He has also has strong ties to the session world, working on many fashion week shows, celebrities, and alongside other creatives, and is a signed artist at Carol Hayes Management.
Here’s some of what we cover in this interview
- Background to Luke’s hairdressing career
- Why a career in hairdressing
- How Luke’s dad could see the progression opportunities in the hair industry
- Choosing to work with Terry Calvert at Clipso
- At look back at Luke’s early training
- Shares more about his winning London Hairdresser of the Year 2016 collection
- Luke talks us through the process of producing a photo collection for the BHA
- Learn more about a models casting
- Working with the right models
- Trialing out ideas prior to your photo shoot
- When to start planning your BHA collection shoot
- Should you look to previous BHA winning collections as research for your entry
- The costs of putting together a BHA entry collection
- Building the right team
- What does winning the BHA awards do for your hairdressing career
- Funding an entry collection
- Whats happening next for Luke Benson Hair Limited
- Projects Luke is working on and working with
- Television programme in the pipeline
- Why Luke recommends a career working in the hairdressing industry
Links to some to the people, places and things mentioned in this episode:
Luke’s winning London Hairdresser of the Year 2016 Collection